Friday, November 8, 2013

DIY: Invitations

three posts in one day...that's a lot of updates :) But, even though I put my computer away an hour ago, I'm too excited to share some of my latest creations.  :) AND as soon as I find the camera cord so I can upload pictures of one of these parties, I'll definitely be doing a post on that as well!!!

As I mentioned previously.... I LOVE PAPER PRODUCTS.  Especially invitations.  I enjoy making them, more than I could ever put into words.  Right now, it is merely a hobby for me, but recently I've been having more friends ask me to create things for them and I'm starting to realize that I enjoy this form of crafting (and craft therapy) more than I should.  There is just something about listening to someone explain what type of "look" they are going for and tweaking the document until it is exactly what they had envisioned.  Sometimes...it's hard to get into their heads and understand what they are looking for.  This is why pinterest has been a life-saver.  It is so easy to look at other invitations or items and say "I like this  about invitation A, but I prefer _____ from invitation B".  Then, you spend a day mixing the two together and you have a pdf of a combination of both.


NOTE: All of my invitations are hand-crafted by myself, so while I try my hardest to make them as identical as possible, there will be minor variations in each one.  While I find this quality endearing, which is why I wanted to make my own wedding invitations, if you are a "I want them to be EXACTLY the same" kind of person...you can stop reading this post now.

"I Do" BBQ & Wedding Shower

A southern-style BBQ, "falling in love" theme for a couples shower hosted in the fall months.


My husband, mother, and I recently hosted a wedding shower for my oldest friend, Brooke, and her hubby to be, Chadwick.  They are getting married next April and since her bridal shower was going to be mostly family, I decided to throw her a couples wedding shower.  The theme was "Falling in Love" and titled an "I Do" BBQ.  Fall color palate of oranges, burlap, and chocolate brown.  Sunflowers, berries, and other fall foliage.  A dessert bar with a lot of "acorn" inspired treats which were super fun to make :).  It was a lovely time...but my most favorite thing out of everything made for the day was probably the invitations.


 

I created this PDF one afternoon and thought it was missing something but at the time couldn't figure out what it was.  Then I decided to add the tag to the jar with bakers twine with their registry information on it and the subtitle of "Fall in Love".

 
I loved being able to be playful with fall colors and fun fonts for this since it was an informal affair.
 
For the envelopes, I wanted to use kraft brown envelopes but I felt they were too plain.  I added a mason jar stamp and then a heart stamp, and then (not pictured here) hand-wrote the wedding date inside each jar.
 
The party itself matched the invitations-colors, textures, and all.  Oh yes, and of course mason jars were the centerpieces and drinking glasses :)
 
 

Wedding Invitations

From our Lowcountry wedding- soft shades of peaches and pinks coupled with the natural textiles of burlap and twine made up the feel for our wedding.

 
As I posted previously here about our wedding details, I first realized I enjoyed making invitations when we were preparing for our pending nuptials.  In case you didn't catch the post, here is a picture of our wedding invitations I came up with.
 

kraft brown pocketfolds, shimmer pink backing and shimmery ivory cardstock for the invitation and card sets.

 
 
I also decided to continue on the theme and make wedding programs as well, but wanted each to be bright and cheerful and unique so I created and assembled these:
 
 

 

I loved the different papers, ribbons, and backings.  I thought this was my way of getting lots of color into the wedding without it taking away from the otherwise peach/tan/brown color scheme!

 
 

Glitter Bachelorette Party Invitations

Where girly-girl lovebird meets sass-a-frass.  The combination of subtlety and flowing lettering with intense sparkle gives these invitations the feel I am going for.

 
Since my best friend is getting married next Spring, I took the opportunity to go ahead and create some invitations for her bachelorette weekend.  I got the design inspiration from a collective force of pinterest samples.  The theme.... glitter ... but I wanted it to be sweet/sappy as well... so here goes nothing :
 



textured glitter backing, shimmery white cardstock for invitation, and glitter cardstock hearts strung together on a strip of hemp.  I can't WAIT for this party.

 
 
I think invitations, especially weddings and showers, should be unique.  I think they are a perfect opportunity to showcase what your event will be about, while simultaneously showing your personality.  This is why I love creating them: it gives me the opportunity to set the stage for an upcoming event. 
 

Currently, I'm in the process of creating an invitation set with pocketfolds for my friend, Brooke's, wedding.  I can't wait to assemble a sample together and show you guys!!!
 
 
xoxo,
 

Virginia

 



No comments:

Post a Comment