Friday, August 2, 2013

Good Eats: Healthy Taco Chicken Salad

I love chicken salad.
I don't love all the mayonnaise that is in that delicious treat...and lets be honest, neither does my health.


I stumbled across a picture of a salad on pinterest, but couldn't find the recipe attached to it so I got to brainstorming and came up with this recipe which, by the way, was yummy

I love taco seasoning , I love chicken , and I love veggies.  What a perfect way to take my favorite mayo-laden chicken salad and turn it into something healthier and equally (if not more) delicious? 

Chicken Salad Ingredients:

- 2 cooked chicken breasts, shredded
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 can low sodium black beans, rinsed & drained
- 1 can no-salt-added sweet yellow corn, rinsed & drained
- 2 medium plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup chopped white onion
- shredded lettuce
- 1 avocado, diced
 
 

Mayo-Substitute Ingredients:

- 2 Tbsp reduced fat mayonnaise
- 1 cup low-fat plain greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp Ranch seasoning mix
- 1.5 Tbsp taco seasoning
 

Assembly:

1. If you haven't already cooked your chicken, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray.  Place two chicken breasts in dish, sprinkle with EVOO, salt, and pepper. Bake 45 minutes until cooked through. 
2. While chicken is cooking, Combine green pepper, black beans, yellow corn, onions, & tomatoes in a medium bowl.
3. Dice avocado (keep this separate than the other ingredients).
4. Assemble "mayo-substitute" in a small bowl. Set aside.
5. When chicken is complete, shred it.  Mix with mayo substitute.  (I like my chicken salad to just be chicken and sauce, then the veggies separate. J likes his all mixed together, so I did half and half).
6. Assemble on a bed of shredded lettuce. Enjoy :)
I like my "chicken salad" on top of the lettuce, then topped with the assorted veggies.

 J likes his chicken salad to include all the veggies all mixed together.
 
 

Both ways were delicious and we definitely had enough leftovers for 2 lunches and 2 dinners!!!
 

xoxo,

Virginia

 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment