Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Good Eats: Balsamic Roast Beef with roasted asparagus

I love my crockpot.

So much so, that often times I hunt for new recipes just so that I can use my crockpot and come home to the delicious smells of flavorful foods that have been cooking all day. 

So I browsed through my pinterest and decided that this recipe was worth a shot.... and it didn't disappoint!! I also paired it with rice pilaf and The pioneer woman's roasted asparagus.  Perfect combo (this is by far my favorite asparagus preparation, by the way--you should totally use her recipe!)


delicious!  The beef was so tender, flavorful, and juicy!

 

Ingredients:

3-4 lbs boneless roast beef (chuck or round roast)
1 cup beef broth
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
1 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
1 Tbsp honey
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
4 cloves garlic, minced
 
(If you're going to make the asparagus, grab a bunch of asparagus, pull out your EVOO, and your sea salt!)
 

Preparation:

1. Spray the slowcooker insert with cooking spray. Place roast in bottom of pan
2. Mix together all the ingredients (except the beef, obviously).  Pour over the beef.
3. Cook on low for 6-8 hours (I had a 3.5 lb roast and I let it cook for around 7 hours)
4. Remove beef and shred.  Ladle 1/2 cup of gravy over the shredded beef.  Save the reserved broth for future use!
 
 
That's it! So simple, and so delicious.  It has a flavor that is not overpowering, which I love because it permits it some versatility. 
 
 
To make the asparagus.
1. Chop off the woody bases of your asparagus.  Wash and pat dry. 
2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
3. Place asparagus on a single row on a baking sheet.  Drizzle with EVOO.  Garnish with freshly cracked sea salt and pepper.
4. Bake 12-15 minutes.
 
My favorite thing about this recipe is that the asparagus still has a crunch to it--it doesn't get all floppy and you're not dousing it in butter!! 
 

Delicious...can you smell the goodness?


 

Happy slow-cooking,

Virginia




No comments:

Post a Comment