Friday, November 22, 2013

Good Eats: Bell Pepper "Nachos"

My goal with this whole "eating healthy-ish" transition in the beginning was simple: make healthier choices.  I never will be a "clean eater", I have no interest in eating half an avocado for lunch, and I really like a cheeseburger every now and then.  When I decided to start eating better, I started small: one decision a day.  I started with breakfast because that's the easiest meal to change since you're home most of the time.  Healthy breakfasts turned to lunches, and now to dinners. 

What I've realized over these months of transition from little Debbie cake queen to froyo with honey is this: healthy food does NOT have to taste bad.  No rice cakes, no cardboard-tasting stuff.... and honestly, some of my all-time favorite foods taste better when they are made with healthier options.

The following recipe is a prime example of healthy changes from not-so-healthy favorites.



Bell Pepper NACHOS

Who doesn't like nachos?  They're a great combination of salty, creamy, cheesy, goodness.  But let's be honest- they're the exact opposite of good for you.  So when I came across this recipe I decided to give it a try... and you know what? I like these BETTER than my normal nachos...and I didn't miss the chips at all.
 
 

Ingredients:

1 tsp EVOO
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 c. chopped onion
1.5 c. cooked, shredded chicken (I used 2 chicken breasts)
1 tsp chili powder
1 c. salsa
salt & pepper, to taste
2 lbs mini bell peppers, cut in half lengthwise, seeds & ribs removed, and flattened as much as possible
1 c shredded mixed cheese (make sure there's Monterey jack in there!)
1/4 c. sliced black olives
2 plum tomatoes, diced
 

Preparation:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Heat oil in skillet over medium. Add garlic and onions, cook 2 minutes.  Add chicken and chili powder.  Cook until chicken is warm and all is covered with the chili powder.  Remove from heat and add the salsa.  Add salt & pepper.
3. Prepare peppers: slice ends off each pepper and cut lengthwise.  Remove seeds & ribs, and make them as flat as possible.  Place on a large, ungreased baking sheet.
4. Spoon (or just use your hands---it's easier) chicken mixture onto each pepper.  Top with shredded cheese and olives,
5. Bake 10 minutes, until the cheese is melted.  Remove from oven and top with the diced tomatoes. 
 
 
 
I loved this recipe.  J did too.  In fact, he wanted me to go back in cook more before we were even done with the first baking sheet (hence why I upped it to 2 lbs mini bell peppers as opposed to 1). 
 
I will definitely be making this again! To keep the timing less, it would be far easier to cook the chicken mixture the night before, and then just prep and bake when you get home after work!!!
 
The combination of the sweet mini peppers and baking them so they still have enough crunch to hold all the toppings is glorious.
 

 
 
 
Happy eating,
 

Virginia

1 comment:

  1. Great post on "Good Eats: Bell Pepper "Nachos"". As a professional chef i have to appreciate your work. Keep Posting useful posts like this. Keep in touch with my websites- Culinary Institute | Chef Training Institute

    ReplyDelete