Thursday, July 11, 2013

Crafting/DIY: Up-cycling lamps

I love lamps.  I could spend hours on Pinterest just drooling over all the fabulous light-creating machinery that is out right now.  But looking at the price tags on some of those beauties is enough to give me a heart-attack, not just a little drool on my keyboard. 

So I wanted to create some lamps.  Now while I am obsessed with a fan of craft projects, I'll admit that sometimes my crafty tendencies end up costing me more than if I just went out and  bought it new.  However, I do like the one-of-a-kind vibe you get when you DIY.  That being said, I promised myself that my lamp project would not be one of my "I should've just bought these" moments.  

I went to my pinterest boards for some inspiration and to create a reasonable "budget" for this craft.  Here are some of my 'inspiration" photos:


I wanted the variation in shapes/heights like these gorgeous lamps from Potterybarn

 
 
And simultaneously wanted the shine/texture of these beauties (again, Potterybarn)
 
 
(see how they aren't "smooth"?  I like that- I think it gives them a relaxed vibe and not so "stuffy").
 
but with price tags topping well over $160-200 per lamp, I decided to allow these photos to merely represent the vibe I wanted to aim for, rather than have a fundraiser to put these actual gems into our home. wiping the drool off my keyboard now
 
The goal price budget: $100 for 2 lamps
Since all the lamps I was gaga for were over 150 a piece, I decided not to set my budget too low.  I wanted larger sized table lamps, rather than small ones, so I knew that I would be lucky if I could find a lamp base for $40 alone, so this still was a lofty goal.  However, considering the price of the new ones- I feel as though if I can be successful it will be a steal.
 
 
 
Time to get to work:  First up- finding the less than perfect lamps. 
 
 
Standing in line at my local Goodwill to purchase these eyesores, the lady behind me commented me on my "fabulous" finds...what I really think she wanted to say was "oh my I doubt those even work" or "how on earth is she going to make that look presentable"....easy lady, I had a plan!
 
 
My gems.  Hideous, right?  The important thing I decided when choosing these two was shape.  I knew I wanted bases of similar structure, but different heights.  Since these both had the same size base, the same size lampshade would work (which would make them look like a unit, rather than two DIY-fixer-upper projects).
 
While that lady behind me may have not been impressed with my find, I know I was.
Cost: $14.93 for both lamp bases
(Tall gold one: $7.97--- small wooden with golden base: $6.96)
Remaining budget: $85.07
 
 
Next up: to find the perfect paint color.  I knew this would be tricky.  I knew I wanted shiny, but not blinding.  And while I will fantasize over those gorgeous chrome lamps, I know that deep down, that sort of shiny would look rather gaudy in my otherwise rustic-y taste.  So I settled for semi-shiny, but still with texture!
 
After about an hour of toying between two different colors (I liked the hammered finish, as well as the textured), I decided to go with my gut instinct that the hammered may look too much like the chrome finish, so I went with the textured.  Which was great- because you don't need primer!  I also picked up some painters tape and fold-over sandwich bags for prepping (just in case I didn't have any at home--and to be fair I'll include these into the budget)
 


 
What you can't see here is the texture- it's almost a mix between sand and stone.  It has just a smidge of metallic, and a mixture of copper, rust, black, and brown flakes to make this a natural yet shiny textured finish. 
 
Cost: Paint: $5.77--- Sandwich Bags: $1.00--- Painter's tape: $2.97 = $9.74
 
Remaining budget: $85.07- $9.74 = $75.33
 
 
Now the not so fun part: cleaning and taping.  These bases were in tough shape so I took to my most favorite cleaning supplies: Clorox Clean-up wipes and the mighty Windex.  Both polished up quite nicely!  Then came the taping.  I used the foldover sandwich bags to wrap the cords, and tape to cover the top of the lamps.  This is more time-consuming just because you have to be concise so you don't end up busting up your lamps...oh and by the way--to that lady behind me: THE LAMPS WORKED (and one came with a light bulb)
 


 
 
tape...tape...more tape... and a bag here and there.
 
I must confess....when I started spraying: I PANICKED, ya'll.  The paint settled in places and was rough and I thought I was going to have to start over, and without the quarter of my budget I had already spent.  And then it started drying...and suddenly I realized- hey, it's flattening out- but I actually almost like the areas that aren't even.... 
 
 
 


 
two coats later....
 
 

 Now I've just got to manage to find the perfect lampshades!  I think with my remaining budget of $75.33  I have no doubt that I can find the perfect ones, and honestly I think I will have some budget leftover for another project :).
 
 
Finding the perfect shade was a little more challenging.  I decided to go back to the rustic-taste my husband and I both have and go with a traditional burlap shade and honestly, I'm pleased with the results!  The shades ended up being the priciest of the project at $15.79 each (Thanks Target) but honestly, I think they were worth the price!!
 
 
please excuse the fact that you can still see the plastic/label on the lampshades.... I wanted to make sure I liked the combo before keeping them.

 
Total Budget: $100
Lamps (Goodwill): $14.93
Spray Paint/Tape/Bags (Wal-Mart): $9.74
Lamp Shades (Target): $31.58

Total Cost:  $56.25

 
 

Happy DIY-ing, ya'll

 


No comments:

Post a Comment