Friday, July 12, 2013

Getaways: Savannah

We had the amazing opportunity to have a mini vacation recently and traveled a couple hours south to Charleston's sister city, Savannah.

Now when most people start planning travels...then begin with what they want to see/do while they are there...not us.

I heard "Savannah" and immediately my thoughts went to what are we going to eat..... If you don't know us by now, we are sort of totally foodies. 

Our plan for this trip was to keep it low-key.  Find some local places and/or "hole in the walls" that were highly recommended on urbanspoon.  Casual/comfort was what we were going for this trip- although next time we have quite a few other venues on our "must try" list that will require us to do a little more primping before stuffing our faces nomming. 

We stayed at the River Street Inn which we definitely recommend.  This cozy little venue is in the historic hotel association, which makes for a memorable experience.  The best thing about this place-- it is right in the heart of everything Savannah has to offer.  Right on the river- and blocks away from some of the most awesome antique stores I have ever set foot in. 

I was so obsessed with our mini getaway I barely took pictures...so thanks to the hotel website for this shot!
 
The inn also hosts a lovely wine and cheese reception nightly (with the exception of Sunday, since this is the south) that we frequented. 
 
Now onto the IMPORTANT stuff...the food
 
 
First up: Soho Café 
 
 
I had the opportunity of eating here twice before- once on my family girls getaway weekend, and again last year with my mother...but I had been talking about it non-stop so I knew we had to go back again and let J test it out for himself.  Again, this place doesn't disappoint. 
 
What first attracted me to this little venue is the sheer fact that it is a restaurant/café as well as an art gallery.  The tables are all a hodgepodge of randomness that you would find at your grandmother's house or a neighborhood-sized garage sale...and somehow the eclectic nature of all the tables/chairs and local art works.  We luckily sat in the library section of this café which is filled with bookshelves and a variety of books (obviously, since it is named "the library" after-all). 
 
 
Thanks Soho Cafe for pictures of your place since I was too busy pigging out snacking.
 
 
First glimpse at the menu will tell you that they specialize in unique, gourmet sandwiches, salads, and soups.  J had the southwestern salad with chicken, and I went for the summer salad sampler which was on their "specials" board.  Neither disappointed.   
 
 
bean salad, potato salad, chicken orzo salad, "real salad", and tuna salad.... nom nom nom
 
If you're ever in Savannah, I definitely recommend you stop by for lunch at Soho Café.
 
 


Next up: The Lady & Sons
 
 
 
With all the controversy surrounding Paula, coupled with my love of every single one of her desserts- I wanted to get into the Lady & Sons and "have a little butter, ya'll."  And again, this place did not disappoint at all!  Every last sampling I had was amazing.... and I got another autographed cookbook on the way out. :)
 
Make sure you call ahead and make a reservation or else you won't get to enjoy this little gem.
 

 
 
Next up: Vinnie Van GoGo's Pizzeria
 
 
If you're ranked #1 on urbanspoon...there must be a reason... and there is.  This hole-in-the-wall, outdoor seating only, cash-only pizza shop does marvelous wonders with some pizza dough.  The dough is light and crisp, not overly doughy.  They top it with some of the freshest toppings I've ever seen.  I'd consider myself somewhat of a pizza snob, to be honest.  I like what I like- and this pizza topped my wildest dreams.  AND the slices are ginormous
 
 
Finally: Henry's Restaurant
 
 
 
Definitely try Henry's if you want some delicious, traditional breakfast foods
 


Breakfast/Brunch is probably my most favorite food category.  I love sweet breads, savory omelets, coffee, crispy bacon.... and surprisingly now I even like grits (gasp).
 
DEFINITELY delicious breakfast food. I had the house omelet which had seasoned broccoli, ham, onions, and cheese.  It came with a side of the most delicious grits I've ever had, and toast.  J had the Belgian waffle which was equally as satisfying...but let's be honest...he stole the vast majority of my grits.
 
 
Now, our bellies full of Savannah foods (and our collection of antique/thrifted finds growing), we are back at home in Charleston with our beloved pups who welcomed us home most excitedly. 
 
 
 

Happy Traveling, Ya'll

 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment